25 Amazing Facts About Mary Kay (the Woman and her Company)
When you say you’re a part of the amazing company known as Mary Kay, many people assume all you do is sell makeup and drive pink Cadillacs. They don’t realize the causes you help, the commitment you’ve given to your community, and the people you support. And they might not even realize that Mary Kay Ash was such an inspiring woman for people everywhere.
Well, we’re about to set the record straight! Here are 25 fun facts you can tell the next person when they ask about Mary Kay.
25 Amazing Mary Kay (Ash) Facts
1. Mary Kay Ash was born in 1918 and watched as her mother worked 14-hour days to support both her and her father (who was very ill).
2. She worked for a company for 25 years but was passed over for a promotion by a man who she trained.
3. The Mary Kay Company has 3.5 million Independent Beauty Consultants, 39,000 Independent Sales Directors, and 600 Independent National Sales Directors.
4. Mary Kay Ash founded Beauty by Mary Kay on the Golden Rule: faith first, family second, and career third.
5. Unlike other products in the makeup industry, Mary Kay does not support animal testing. Mary Kay scientists are committed to eliminating animal testing and encouraging the utilization of alternative testing methods.
6. Mary Kay Inc.’s global sales are $4 billion.
7. Mary Kay is best known for (although there are so many options to consider) her work on empowering women by creating a company that lets women create their own success. She just provided the tools. “God feeds the birds, but he doesn’t throw it into their nest.”—Mary Kay Ash
8. Mary Kay spends millions of dollars and conducts an average of 300,000 tests on its products in a given year to ensure quality, safety, and performance.
9. Her husband died of cancer in 1980, inspiring her to establish a charitable foundation in 1996, supporting cancer research for cancer that affects women.
10. The Mary Kay Ash Charitable Foundation expanded in 2000 in its efforts to end domestic violence against women.
11. Mary Kay supports and funds the Don’t Look Away campaign, where they push the truth (along with celebrity Debby Ryan) that 1 in 4 women will experience abuse in their lifetime.
12. Mary Kay was the official beauty sponsor on the show Project Runway Season 14.
13. Why the bee? Mary Kay Ash once said, “Aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know it so it goes on flying anyways.”
14. Mary Kay doesn’t just offer makeup, but a full skincare line. Have you tried the 21-Day Skincare Challenge? #GlowAndTell
15. The scientists at Mary Kay have been a global leader in developing alternative testing methods for their products. They have worked with countless animal advocacy groups in an effort to gain global acceptance of new testing procedures.
16. “God does not ask your ability or your inability. He asks only your availability.” —Mary Kay Ash.
17. Mary Kay Ash traveled the world to teach and empower people to change their lives for the better.
18. When people ask what type of business Mary Kay is, you can tell them it is a dual-level marketing/direct sales company.
19. Mary Kay Ash believed that, “While clothes may not make the woman, they certainly have a strong effect on her self-confidence, which, I believe, does make the woman.”
20. The Mary Kay cosmetic company produces over 200 premium products.
21. She founded the company on a life savings of $5,000.
22. Mary Kay launches the Global Month of Service, logging over 500,000 volunteer hours around the world.
23. Mary Kay is sold in over 35 global markets, with its first international marketing opening in Australia in 1971.
24. Mary Kay Ash once said about working together, “We treat our people like royalty. If you honor and serve the people who work for you, they will honor and serve you.”
25. UnitWise is the premier business management solution designed exclusively for Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultants, Directors, and NSDs.
So the next time you’re stopped on the street, you’ll have your amazing facts about Mary Kay (Ash) ready to share! What other facts do you know about Mary Kay Ash and her company? Share with us in the comment section below!