It’s a new year and you want a new look, so that you can start working towards a new you. Besides, who doesn’t love beauty tips? From growing out your hair, to selecting the perfect bangs for your face, we’ve got beauty tips galore to keep you feeling gorgeous all year long.
1. Growing Out the Pixie Cut—ASAP
You’ve done it, I’ve done it, she’s done it—we’ve all cut our hair short and then instantly wanted our long hair back. Heck, I even bought extensions to ease the loss of my long hair. But there are ways to grow your lovely long tresses back in no time, such as adjusting your diet. Eat a healthy, balanced diet that incorporates a mixture of protein and nutrients. Also, add in omega-3 oils, like salmon and nuts. Be sure you also limit the amount of heat you expose to your hair, like straightening and blow drying.
2. The Right Way to Wash Your Hair
Gasp, there’s a right way to wash your hair? Absolutely! Here’s the secret:
- You should always start out washing your hair by rinsing it first with warm water. Warm water helps open the cuticles to release trapped dirt and get it ready to absorb much-need oils.
- For all you long haired beauties out there, make sure you condition first. Yes, really! This helps keep your hair smooth and shiny.
- Then next up, lather up only at the scalp. Not all of your hair needs shampooing, you only need to shampoo it at the scalp and the nape. And you only need about a quarter-sized dab of shampoo, anyways.
- Once you’re done washing, add conditioner from the mid-lengths to the tips, only. I keep conditioner on my hair for about five minutes so my hair can better absorb the moisturizing nutrients.
Remember to be gentle, don’t rinse and repeat, and finish off with cold water to seal in the moisture.
3. Dyeing Hair Dark
After watching the new Star Wars movie, you’re thinking about coming over to the dark side. Well before you make the leap, there are a few challenges to be aware of:
- Consider your brows: If you are going from natural blonde to black for instance, you’ll need to either dye your eyebrows or fill them in. And please, leave the brow-dyeing to the professionals.
- Mixture of colors: Just like going blonde, to go dark there is a mixture of colors that goes into the look.
- Going light again is tough: Say you gave going dark a try, well my friend, to go back light is going to be a long process. It’s difficult (trust me, I’m a brunette that went blonde) to go back light again. So don’t rush into this decision.
4. Looks That Make You Appear Older
Heaven forbid, yes there are looks that make you appear older. From blunt bangs, to perfectly straight hair, we suggest avoiding some of these if you want to be 21 forever.
- Blunt, heavy bangs: Too-heavy of hair at the front of your face makes you facial features appear smaller. Try to feather out your hair so that you can show off your pretty, youthful face!
- Beware the frizz: If your hair tends to curl or frizz, it can cause your appearance to look disheveled, therefore aging you. Frizz ease products are out there, and they’re great to use.
- Too straight: When your hair is too straightened, it can appear harsh. Add some waves to soften your features.
5. Prevent the Split
So you’re growing your hair out—but just so you know, you won’t get very far if split ends are present. To prevent split ends from happening, you only need to make a few simple changes.
- Change the way you wash: We already talked about how to correctly wash your hair, but this is an important part to keep your hair healthy and free of split-ends.
- Brush gently: Never be too harsh when brushing your hair. We suggest limiting how much you brush your hair when it’s wet, this can lead to breakage.
- Style your hair less: You don’t want to overdo it with the curling iron, straightener, or hair dryer, as as these are the main culprits of split ends. So on days you aren’t planning to hit the town, give your hair a style break. It helps!